I-90 open Rapid City to Chamberlain I-90 Closed Chamberlain to Sioux Falls I-29 Closed Sioux Falls to ND border
For Immediate Release: Friday, April 12, 2019
Contact: Kristi Sandal, Public Information Officer, 605-773-3265
Interstate 90 Open Rapid City to Chamberlain
PIERRE, S.D. – Officials are opening the closed portion of Interstate 90 from Rapid City to Chamberlain immediately. If your destination is beyond Chamberlain, please wait for further opening announcements before heading out.
I-90 remains closed from Chamberlain to Sioux Falls and I-29 remains closed from Sioux Falls to the North Dakota border. No estimated time of opening.
Motorists are cautioned that winter driving conditions of compacted snow and ice, and blowing snow will continue to make travel difficult throughout the day. Slow down, keep the cruise off and be aware conditions can change very quickly.
Officials also want motorists to be aware that travel on other state highways may still be very difficult.
Plow drivers will be out all day, please give them room to work.
Drivers are reminded to check safetravelusa.com/sd or call 5-1-1 before travelling this morning to view conditions, No Travel Advisories and roads that are still marked as impassable.
If you are travelling today, the departments of Transportation and Public Safety recommend motorists also take the following steps.
- Wear your seatbelt
- Travel during the day
- Drive with your headlights on (not daytime running lights) so you can be seen by other motorists from the front and rear
- Don’t use cruise control on icy or snow-covered roads
- Use highly traveled roads and highways
- Keep family and friends informed of your travel schedule and route
- Call 5-1-1 or visit safetravelusa.com for road conditions
- Keep a winter weather survival kit in your car. The kit should include blankets, warm clothing, water, energy bars, a flashlight, a distress flag, a shovel and matches
- Travel with a charged cell phone, but don’t rely on it to get you out of a bad situation