I-90 and I-29 Open
For Immediate Release: Friday, April 12, 2019
Contact: Kristi Sandal, Public Information Officer, 605-295-0150
Interstate 90 Open Chamberlain to Sioux Falls
Interstate 29 Open Sioux Falls to North Dakota Border
PIERRE, S.D. – Officials are opening the closed portion of Interstate 90 from Chamberlain to Sioux Falls and I-29 from Sioux Falls to the North Dakota border effective immediately. All portions of closed Interstate are now open.
Motorists are strongly cautioned that winter driving conditions of compacted snow and ice and blowing snow are making travel difficult not only on the Interstate, but other highways across the state. Reduce speed, keep the cruise off and be aware conditions can change very quickly.
Plow drivers are out working to continue getting roads in better driving condition, please give them room to work.
Drivers are reminded to check safetravelusa.com/sd or call 5-1-1 before travelling this morning to view conditions, No Travel Advisories and roads that are still marked as impassable.
If you are travelling today, the departments of Transportation and Public Safety recommend motorists also take the following steps.
- Wear your seatbelt
- Drive with your headlights on (not daytime running lights) so you can be seen by other motorists from the front and rear
- Don’t use cruise control on icy or snow-covered roads
- Use highly traveled roads and highways
- Keep family and friends informed of your travel schedule and route
- Call 5-1-1 or visit safetravelusa.com for road conditions
- Keep a winter weather survival kit in your car. The kit should include blankets, warm clothing, water, energy bars, a flashlight, a distress flag, a shovel and matches
- Travel with a charged cell phone, but don’t rely on it to get you out of a bad situation