Bridge Work Begins on Interstate 90
For Immediate Release: Wednesday, April 17, 2019
Contact: Brenda Flottmeyer, 605.394.1638
RAPID CITY, S.D. – The South Dakota Department of Transportation says project to repair six bridges on Interstate 90 will begin with the structure located three miles west of Exit 131 (Cactus Flats) on Tuesday, April 23.
The scope of this project is to make bridge deck and abutment repairs during the first phase starting at the top of the list moving east to west. During the second phase, the contractor will come back around and place either a bridge deck polymer chip seal or a high friction surface treatment to improve skid resistance.
This work will occur at the I-90 bridge locations in the order noted below:
- East and westbound lanes at mile marker 127.7 with a 16-foot width restriction effective April 23 thru early June.
- Eastbound Exit 112 off-ramp (Overpass bridge)
- I-90 Overpass bridge at mile marker 64.16 (between Ellsworth and Rapid City)
- Westbound at mile marker 53.93 west Rapid City
- Eastbound at mile marker 53.93 west Rapid City with a 13-foot width restriction and over-width detour
- Eastbound Exit 112 onramp (Overpass Bridge) – Bridge Closure with Detour. **This bridge will be done after the first five structures are completed.
Future announcements will be made as work progresses from one structure to the next, along with detour information.
Traffic will be reduced to a single lane in each direction with a reduced speed of 65 mph for the duration of the project and further reduced to 45 mph when workers are present.
Motorists are reminded to be prepared for suddenly slowing and merging traffic, and to be aware of workers and equipment adjacent to the driving lanes.
The overall completion date of this project is Oct. 18, 2019.
PCIRoads, LLC. of St. Michael, Minnesota is the prime contractor of this $1.7 million project.
For complete road construction information, visit www.safetravelusa.com/sd or dial 511.
– 30 –